The concept of a spending fast is not new or novel – people have done it for years. However, in today’s internet age, this concept seems to be gaining popularity. If you google the term “Spending Fast” or “Shopping Fast” there are TON of hits. Here are some other resources about spending fasts, personal stories of others who have done it and some “how-to’s” from the last decade (more recently since 2008).
- A How-To from March 2010
- Dara and Jon Kurtz’s Story from 2008
- A Good House Keeping Series of 7 Families who went a year without shopping.
- An E-How Article: How To Go On A Spending Fast.
- A Spending Fast doesn’t have to be a year…How about a 21 day spending fast?
- Here’s a note on Facebook from some who did a 6-month Spend Fast back in 2000.
- In 2008 this woman talks about her month without spending as well as some others who have done it. She also challenges others to try.
- In 2010 Michelle McKinney Hammond wrote a book called “Divanomics” challenging women to do a 30 day spending fast, after being inspired by a friend who did a year long spending fast.
- In 2008, this woman went on a 6 months shopping fast and talks about her experience.